3.01.2012

Which of My Photographs is My Favorite?

When famous photographer, Imogen Cunningham addressed this question, her answer was, "The one I'm going to take tomorrow!"

This totally resonates with me as I am always seeking to create something better, something more emotional, something that will make the viewer say, "Wow!"

We should always be challenging ourselves to do better tomorrow than we did today. Whether in photography or life, it is the constant striving to be better at what we are doing that will bring a sense of accomplishment each day. It is a false belief that we think that we can be complacent and sit on a plateau of what we have already accomplished. There are no real plateaus that we can stay on in life. If we are not growing, we are decaying. Everything in this world is either in a state of coming or going. Including our talents!

I have always believed that to be "green" at something is a good thing. It means you're learning and growing. In nature, things are growing when they are green. Once the fruit has become ripe, it then begins a process of decaying. One of my favorite sayings is, "When you're green, you're growing. When you're ripe, you rot!" Even if you are an expert in your field, you must continue to grow and learn more.

Photography, especially, is an industry that is ever-changing. There used to be a time that to be the best in the field, you just needed to "stand still" and let the newbies push you higher and higher. You could have years of experience, all the best equipment and the newbies would just keep making you look better and better. That is no longer the way it is in this industry. You have to keep learning, growing, staying up on the what is new and fresh.

This quote by Imogene Cunningham encourages me to make each and every opportunity that I have to take pictures a new and exciting challenge. Always seeking after my new "favorite" picture.

Happy Shooting!

4 comments: